Frequently Asked Questions

What is NERC and what does NERC really do?
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) was established in October, 2005 as part of the reforms in the electricity sector. The Electric Power Sector Reform (EPSR) Act, 2005 gave birth to the Commission as the independent watchdog and regulatory body for the power industry and was inaugurated on October 31st 2005.

NERC is not NEPA (the defunct Nigerian Electric Power Authority) or PHCN (defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria), but it can be compared to the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) which regulates telecommunications in Nigeria.

For more about NERC, click here.
How do I contact NERC?

NERC has its head office in Abuja, and Forum Offices in almost all the states in Nigeria. The address of the Head Office Address is:


Plot 1387 
Cadastral Zone A00
Central Business District
Abuja, F.C.T, Nigeria
Tel: +234 09 4621400, 09 4621410


I am not happy about my service in my home or area. How should I channel my complaint?
You will need to make a written complaint at the nearest Customer Care Unit (CCU) located within the electricity distribution company (DisCo) serving you. They are expected to resolve your problem within 15 working days.

If you are not satisfied with their response, contact the nearest NERC Consumer Forum office. Forum offices have been set up to help resolve problems that the CCUs have not resolved for the customer (click here for more on NERC Consumer Forums).

If you are still dissatisfied with the Forum, contact NERC with the details of your complaint (click here for our contact details).

How much do I pay for electricity?
Cost of electricity for customers depends on 4 things:
  1. Location of Customer
  2. Tariff Class of Customer
  3. Tariff Rate
  4. The quantity of electricity consumed by the customer
Click HERE to learn More (How much do I pay for Electricity?)
For more on electricity tariffs in NESI , Click here
How can I contact Forum Offices?
Forum offices were set up as to address complaints of customers who are dissatisfied with the manner such complaints were handled by the Customer Care Units (CCUs). For details on how to contact them, Click HERE.
Why do I get crazy bills? What is NERC doing to stop this?

Crazy bills are bills that are given to a customer that does not reflect the correct consumption of that customer. Such crazy bills usually come in the form of estimated bills where the electricity distribution company gives the customer an estimate that far exceeds what that customer could possibly have consumed within the billing period.

NERC has issued an estimated billing methodology or formula, and has ordered all electricity distribution companies to apply this formula in estimating their customers. This will ensure that customers pay for only what they consume. (Click here for methodology)

The Commission has provided for a minimum number of months or period within which a customer can continue to receive estimated billing. The Commission’s Regulation on Standards of Performance for Distribution Companies 1.10 stipulates three months or 90 days after which the Utility Firm must find every means possible to read the meter for actual energy consumed if the premises is metered.

If I have complaints on crazy bills what do I do?

File your complaints with your Electricity Distribution Company (DisCo) and then the NERC Forum Office if you are not satisfied with the decision of the DisCo. Click here for How to report a complaint.

How do I get a pre-paid meter?

If a customer wants a meter, he or she should apply to the Electricity Distribution Company (DisCo), and the company should then ensure that the meter is provided free of charge (apart from the necessary costs associated with installation).

If transformers are faulty, are residents responsible for its provision and installation?

Faulty transformers are supposed to be replaced by the Electricity Distribution Company (DisCo) within forty-eight hours of the official complaint being made. The Electricity Distribution Company (DisCo) is responsible for such replacements or repairs.

However, if the Electricity Distribution Company (DisCo) is unable to speedily replace the faulty transformer, residents may go into discussions with the company and agree on the terms of the replacement of the affected transformer if they so wish to assume the responsibility of the company.

Consumers that intend to go into such discussions with Electricity Distribution Company (DisCo) are strongly advised to read the Commission’s guidelines for such agreements. (Click here for NERC investment in electricity networks regulation 2015).

This is bearing in mind that any equipment purchased and integrated into the electricity system or grid automatically becomes the property of the Electricity Distribution Company (DisCo).
Why the need for Power Sector Reform?

The history of electricity in Nigeria is well known. It is generally inadequate, unavailable in most rural communities, and unreliable where available. Prior to the reforms in the power sector, the industry was a monopoly run by a single government owned utility company handling generation, transmission and distribution of electricity.

Over the years, this single utility company had metamorphosed in name from Electricity Corporation of Nigeria (ECN), to Nigerian Electric Power Authority (NEPA) and finally, Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN). To address the power problems, a provision of the Act broke up the company into the business of generation, transmission and distribution of electricity in the country.

Click HERE for more
What is NERC doing to protect customers?

1. The Commission has developed, approved and published the following documents for the protection of electricity consumers: 

  1. Customer Complaints Handling Standards and Procedures;
  2. Connections and Disconnections Procedures for Electricity Services;
  3. Customer Service Standards for Distribution companies and
  4. Meter Reading;  Cash Collection and Credit Management for electricity supply.

2. The Commission has embarked on numerous public enlightenment campaigns titled Power Consumer Assembly to enlighten consumers on their rights and obligations.

3. The Commission has developed, approved and published the following docuemnts to ensure standards and safety for customers and workers in the sector.

  1. Health and Safety Standard Manual
  2. Grid Code
  3. Distribution Code and
  4. Metering Code.
What are the rights of electricity consumers?

Click Here to see the rights
What are the obligations of electricity consumers?

Click here to see the obligations
What is the Commission’s rule on Mass Disconnections?

By establishing procedures for connections and disconnections in the Connection & Disconnection Procedures for Electricity Services Regulation (Section 2(2.1)), the Commission has put a stop to mass disconnection i.e. a situation where a group of customers are disconnected just because of a few defaulters, which leads to wrongful disconnections.

Electricity Distribution Company (DisCo) is responsible for identifying specific customers who owe electricity bills, give them a reasonable time to pay their bills, and if all reasonable efforts to make them pay their bills fail, give them a final warning after which a customer shall be subject to disconnection.
What is MYTO?
Multi Year Tariff Order (MYTO) is a methodology used for determining tariffs across the electricity value chain. MYTO sets a 15 year tariff path with bi-annual minor reviews (taking cognizance macroeconomic indicators such as inflation rates, cost of gas and exchange rate) and 5 yearly major reviews. Click HERE to learn More